If you are in the quest to be more environmentally conscious in your everyday life, you are not alone. As a cleaning company with health being a top priority, we also strive to adopt more green practices.
Along the road, especially when starting this shift, we all want some guidance. Something to pay close attention to is the importance of cleaning in our lives and its impact. After all, it is part of our daily activities.
Eco-friendly cleaning is attainable. From our expertise, we present you this simple guide to eco-friendly cleaning products:
Achieving an Eco-Friendly Cleaning Routine Through Products
There is no cleaning without cleaning products, and nowadays, there are cleaning products for anything you can imagine. However, many ingredients in them can be detrimental to the environment and even our health. Additionally, the packaging they come in is wasteful. We tend to discard it instead of reusing it or recycling it.
There are two popular alternatives to combat these issues: purchasing green cleaning products or DIY them yourself. Green cleaning products are excellent for routine maintenance. Remember that, from time to time; you may need a deep cleaning and a more potent effect.
We are all for safety, especially as a cleaning company, because we have to safeguard our client’s health. Still, part of adopting an environmentally-friendly conscience is to try and do the best you can for the world without striving to perfect, because no one is. The small daily actions are what counts.
Purchasing Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
Not every cleaning product with a “green” or similar label is genuinely eco friendly. Still, it doesn’t mean that everyone is lying to us. Our guidelines for purchasing green cleaning products consist of looking for specific labels or approval seals such as:
- EPA Safer Choice Seal.
- EWG (Environmental Working Group) Verification. They rank cleaning products from A to F, with A being the safest product to use and F being a harmful product for the environment.
- Ecologo Seal
- Green Seal Certification
- PETA Seal
- Safety Data Sheet: This sheet is a requirement on every product by the EPA, and it will tell you how hazardous that product is. Another aspect to consider is the more safety indications a product has to use, the less eco friendly it is.
DIY Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
A step further to boost your eco-friendly cleaning practices or to follow when you distrust conventional products is to make your cleaning products. There are numerous recipes out there that use common household ingredients and natural ingredients that are excellent for eco-friendly cleaning. The most common ones are probably already in your cabinets! They include:
- Baking soda: You can pretty much clean your entire home with it. It is generally mixed with water and vinegar or lemons to create an effective cleaning solution.
- Distilled White Vinegar: It is the safest choice for cleaning and avoiding stains.
- Lemons or limes: Their acid is antibacterial.
- Borax: A great disinfectant, bleach agent, and deodorizing.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Disinfects and bleaches.
Avoid Single-Use Cleaning Products Or Wasteful Packaging.
When turning to a more eco-friendly cleaning routine, many products come in wasteful packaging or are single-use, like paper towels. Using them can generate a lot of trash, which many want to avoid for our planet.
Again, it is tricky to be completely free from wasteful packaging for your cleaning products, but it isn’t impossible. Here are some tips you can try:
- Purchase your eco-friendly cleaning products and supplies from bulk shops.
- Repurpose or recycle empty cleaning containers.
- Opt for eco-friendly cleaning products with packaging that you can recycle or it is bio biodegradable.
- Select items you can repeatedly use, like fabric towels.
Don’t Give Up!
Don’t take yourself down if you are not able to follow every single eco-friendly cleaning practice. You are already taking an enormous step by wanting to be more environmentally conscious. Doing the slightest change is so much better than doing nothing at all.
We remind you that you count on our great assistance at Bethel Cleaning Services. If you are interested in more tips or ideas, stay tuned for more blogs!